BIS Registration- Overview
BIS stands for Bureau of Indian Standards which is a national body that has standardization as its core aspect. BIS Registration is of utmost importance for manufacturers in many aspects. It has established a wide range of laboratories at regional, central and branch level to ensure the quality of specific goods. The primary objective of such laboratories is to ascertain and quality check the sample products and reject the ones which do not meet the standard quality prescribed under the BIS Act, 2016.
BIS Registration product Scheme is one of the largest programs all over the world with over 26500 licenses covering more than 1000 products. It allows the manufacturer to use the ISI Mark on their products which denotes that the product is pure and healthy. BIS Registration product scheme also operates Foreign Manufactures Certification Scheme under which manufacturers from overseas can be granted a license to use the BIS standard certification.
Track Your Status
BIS Registration Package
Rs.4 Lakh+18% GST
- What we provide
- Documents required
- BIS Registration
- Free Business Consultancy
- Online file submission proof
- Government-oriented license and registration.
- Address proof
- Application stating declaration from CEO of the firm.
- Proof of brand name: Certificate declaring that brand name belongs to the owner, or a Letter of consent from the brand owner of the product, or an application for trademark (if applied for).
- Applicant from the overseas location must furnish an affidavit and identity proof via an authorized Indian representative.
- Test report of the product evaluated by the BIS-certified lab.
Quality Standards Assurance
BIS adopts a holistic approach for the execution of quality compliances for all manufacturers. Entities under BIS registration is required to follow a certain standard for the manufacturing of the goods. The premise where the production is usually carried out is inspected by BIS investigating officers at any time. It enables the BIS to constantly monitor the production facilities for product quality check and compliances adherence.
Gives Authenticity To Products
Products with no quality certification may sell out overnight but cannot garner the customer’s credibility or trust. Products that are not certified are prone to poor performance and might have potential health risks. Unfortunately, most of the consumers are not aware of such facts.
On the other hand, BIS certified products increas the customers' trust and satisfaction as the products promise to deliver high-quality performance and unparalleled reliability. This is one of the most important advantage of BIS registration.
Reducing Environmental Risk
BIS certification covers more than 1000 types of products, and some of them are potentially harmful from the environmental point of view. Electronic items, in particular, have a severe environmental impact and health hazard. BIS has taken several measures in this context and has implemented a definitive protocol for producing such products to minimize environmental risk.
In addition to the above, BIS has forbidden the use of certain materials and chemicals under its prescribed rules. Hence, it plays a vital role in standardizing the quality protocol for safety and environmental welfare associated with the industrial sector.
Labs for Quality Inspection
Since BIS works on the standardization of the quality, it has incorporated several labs for carrying out inspection of quality of products in several states of India. These labs were formed to test an array of products for quality. During the on-site inspection of the manufacturing units, the investigating officers collect a few samples and send them to the lab for testing.
After quality check, the product will then be sent back along with the test audit report. This process is tedious for sure but is an absolute necessity and is highly imperative for maintaining standards set by the Act.
Documentation for BIS Registration is segregated into two parts:
A. Factory Documents & Information
Self-certified copy of any one of following documents establishing the Firm is required:
- Registration with State Government/ Trade License
- Registration Certificate issued by Company Registrar
- Registered Partnership Deed for Partnership Firm
- Certificate from an authorized Chartered Accountant for Proprietorship firm
Self-certified copy of any one of following authenticating the business premises (not older than 2 months):-
- Registration with State Government Authority/ Trade Licences, OR
- GST Registration
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Insurance Policy
- Property tax receipt
- Rent agreement with last rent receipt OR Sale/ Lease Deed agreement
- Any utility bills
- Bank Statement/Pass Book containing the address
Any one of following as identity proof of signatory of the Application:
- Aadhar Card
- PAN card
- Driving License
- Voter Identity card
- CGHS/ECHS photo card
- Arms licence
- Identity Certificate with photo issued by Gazetted Officer on official letterhead
- Disability ID card/ Handicapped Medical Certificate issued by State Govt
- Pensioner photo card
- Ration/PDS photo pard
- Photo ID issued by recognized educational institution
- Kissan Photo PassBook
The additional documents required to be attached with the application are as follows:
- Agreement on non-judicial stamp paper of Rs 100/- in the specified format.
- Location map
- Trademark Registration
- Organizational chart of the Factory premise
- Legal Address Proof of Factory/manufacturing unit
- List of Machinery
- List of Equipments
- Documents of Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) when the manufacturer is from outside India
B. Technical Information of Products
Here's the echnical information of the products available for lab test. The information that the manufacturer has to submit are as follows:
- PCB Layout
- Schematic Diagram
- User Manual
- Critical Components List
- -Acknowledgment proof of online application submission
- -Application signed by the company's CEO, or a letter of authority from the CEO
- -Affidavit and undertaking for the approved Indian representative along with proof of identity of the individual signing an affidavit, if the manufacturer is located abroad
- -Undertaking for quality test report
- -Original test reports from the specified laboratory, not being older than 1 month mentioning all the requirements as per the specific category
- -Form VI and VII
The BIS Registration procedure will take approximately 30-45 days to complete including testing time of 20-30 days and the BIS Application processing time is 10-15 days approximately.
BIS Registration for the product is classified under different types of schemes. Let's look at them.
Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturer
The applicant needs to submit the BIS Registration application along with requisite documents and the requisite fees. After submitting the application, an assessment is carried out by a BIS officer where the samples are tested in the lab and prepare an independent testing report. And, if all things go well, BIS Registration is granted where the sampling procedure is acceptable. BIS Registration is issued within 4 months after the submission of the application.
Simple Domestic Manufacturers Procedure
In the simple procedure, the applicant along with the application for BIS Registration files a test report of the sample from the approved lab to the BIS officer. If the test report is satisfactory then the BIS officer will carry out an inspection of the factory and grant the certificate of registration within 45 days of submission of BIS Registration application with a relevant test report.
The simplified procedure is eligible for grant of license of All India First license cases and for all the products except for the following caes:
- Products like cylinders, valves, cement, etc., where it is necessary to get the approval from another statutory authority;
- All those products for which BIS license is issued on the basis of factory inspection.
- Packaged Drinking Water and Packaged Natural Mineral Water.
Eco Mark Scheme
BIS also issues License to environmentally friendly products under a special scheme- ECO Mark Scheme where all environmentally friendly products are categorized conforming to the basic requirements under the Indian Standards.
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
The ISI mark for foreign applicants or manufacturers is specially designed and granted under a separate scheme within 6 months’ time. In the year 2000, the concept of Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) was introduced by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) with the objective to enable the overseas applicants or foreign manufacturers so that they too can use ISI and BIS on their products.
The foreign manufacturer is required to set up a branch office in India. And with the permission must appoint an agent in India.
Then the agent can apply for BIS Registration by submitting the application to the BIS in the prescribed format along with the requisite fee and the documents.
Preliminary Inspection shall be carried out at the applicant's manufacturing unit and testing units. Samples will also be collected for independent testing.
If the BIS are satisfied with all the things, the BIS Certificate shall be issued following which the applicant shall pay annual marking fee and annual license fee.
Manufacturers requiring a standard BIS certification as provided by government notification may obtain a BIS license under the tatkal scheme. Under the tatkal scheme, the request is handled under tight deadlines and the average processing period is set as 1 month.
Following is the procedure to obtain a BIS standard Mark:
- The first step is to get the product tested for quality from any BIS recognized laboratory that takes 15 days to 20 days. The Test Report must be issued in the name of the applicant and the manufacturing unit. It should also contain the complete address of the production unit.
- After submitting BIS Registration Application, the applicant must ensure that Test Report is duly assessed and verified.
- Then download and fill the Application Form Number VI and VII from the official BIS portal.
- Upload all the required documents and Test Reports with the Application form. The Test Reports should not be older than 90 days from the date of application. Also, it is important to submit the hard copies of all the documents within 15 days at the concerned BIS Branch Office.
- If the applicant is a foreign manufacturer having no branch office or liaison office located in India, then the Forms are required to be signed by the Authorized Indian Representative (AIR), appointed according to the guidelines of BIS.
- The manufacturers or applicants have to apply for a separate Registration Number as well in case they are manufacturing products at different locations. Also, if a product is being produced under multiple brands, then each brand has to get registered separately.
- Once the Application is complete and submitted, BIS Officers will verify the documents and grant Registration Certificate within 15 to 20 days. A BIS Registration Certificate is valid for two years and must be renewed before the expiry date provided there is no change in the standard of that registered product.
TAX SEVA KENDRA is one of the reputed consultants for tax and related services. We take value in client's full satisfaction. Our team of professionals are available 24x7 to offer consultation and guidance on wide range of matters. We have experience in various registrations and licenses. We simplify the legal requirements so that you can easily get what you want. If you have any query related to BIS Registration, our experienced experts are just a phone call away.
What is the purpose of BIS Certification?
The aim is to:
-Safeguard Public Health
-Protect Consumer from Hazardous Products
-Increase Consumer Confidence
Who can apply for Compulsory Registration Scheme?
Manufacturers of the products prescribed in the scheme which is located in India or outside India.
The separate Registration number for products being produced at different locations.
The separate Registration number for each product being manufactured at the same location.
What is the validity for BIS Registration?
The BIS Registration will be valid for two years and can be renewed if the product and the standard are not amended.
Is it mandatory to procure BIS License for the Import of Goods in India?
Yes, it is mandatory to get a BIS License for the import of goods falling under the specified scheme. This implies that such goods can only be imported in India if they have a standard mark under the BIS Certification.
In the case of multiple series and models, what is the process for testing?
According to the Guidelines issued for the Series Approval of Products, only one sample out of a series of every ten models will be selected and sent for testing. Further, this rule states that the product having the worst configuration as per the safety designed consideration will get selected for the test.
Need Consultancy? Ask Tax Seva Kendra Expert@ Rs. FREE
- Free Consultancy
- Online Documentation
- Anywhere In India